The Achievement School District is committed to engaging talented local partners in the important work of creating high quality school options and want to further our work to create a local operator applicant pipeline through a series of workshops intended to support local leaders in partnering with the ASD.
What Can You Learn in Our Workshops?
Our workshops cover the basics of charter schooling and the nuances of the ASD’s neighborhood school focus in a portfolio district. Each session focuses on the knowledge and skills necessary for the effective operation of a turnaround school in the ASD and sessions will culminate in advance of the launch of the ASD’s 2017 Charter Request for Proposals, for schools opening in 2018 and beyond. Sessions of both workshops are scheduled for Memphis and Nashville.
In the Charter Foundations workshop, you will learn:
- What a public charter school is and how it is similar to and different from a traditional public school
- The structures and personnel required by law to operate a public charter school in Tennessee
- The key components included in a viable charter proposal
The Working in the ASD workshop explores:
- The ASD’s portfolio district model
- Creating effective school plans for a turnaround environment
- The autonomy afforded public charter school operators in the ASD
- How operations and finance function differently in the ASD
- The accountability metrics used to drive decision making in the ASD
- The ASD’s school monitoring and accountability practices
NEW DATE—Register now for Working in the ASD–Memphis on January 7
Who Can Attend the Training Sessions?
Anyone interested in learning more about charter school autonomy and accountability with a focus on the ASD is welcome to attend. Participants don’t need to have experience in education but should be prepared to assemble a team that includes members with a variety of expertise, including in school leadership.
Participants are not expected to take part in both training sessions; rather, participants can attend one or both of the trainings, depending on their own background knowledge and needs.