2012 Achievement Advisory Council Members

By Achievement School District

For more information about the Achievement Advisory Council, check out he mission of the AAC.

Kristen Bland: Methodist Le Bonheur Healthcare

Kristen Bland is the corporate director of public policy and advocacy for Methodist Le Bonheur Healthcare and has served in her current role for six years. Kristen also serves as an adjunct professor in the health administration program at the University of Memphis. She holds a bachelor’s degree in political science from Texas A&M University and a master’s degree in health administration from Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis, Missouri. Bland has served the Memphis community through leadership roles with the Junior League of Memphis, as a volunteer for Hope House and in staffing the transition teams for Memphis City and Shelby County mayors and presently on Memphis City Mayor Wharton’s advisory committee. Kristen is married to Jason Bland and they have twin boys, Jack Garrett and Thomas.

Sarah Carpenter: Parent Coordinator, KIPP Memphis Collegiate School

Sarah Carpenter is the parent coordinator of KIPP Memphis Collegiate School.  Before becoming a parent coordinator, Sarah was a volunteer at KIPP.  She is a founding member of the Concerned Citizens of Hyde Park, a neighborhood association dedicated to improving the plight of their community.  Sarah is the proud parent of four adult daughters and the grandmother of nine.

Chandra Dandridge: Substitute Teacher, Memphis City Schools; Current Parent & Child Advocate

Chandra is a graduate of Hamilton High School in Memphis and earned her Bachelor’s of Science in Biology from Tennessee State University. She is a former substitute teacher for Memphis City Schools.  She has volunteered for the Juvenile Justice Center, as a Court Appointed Special Advocate. She is a wife and the mother of five children.  She is a former member of the Site Based Decision Making Council, serving as President from 2007-2009 at Dr. William Herbert Brewster Elementary School.  She has served as a Policy Council Board Member for the Shelby County Headstart (Pre-K) Program.

Regenia F. Dowell: Membership Chair, Frayser High School PTSA; Member, MCS Pre-K Advisory Council and Pre-K Continuum Advisory Council

Reginia graduated from Memphis State University with a degree in Biological Sciences.  She was employed by the University of Tennessee Health Science Center, where she was involved in research of Hypertension and Gastroenterology and published several research articles. In 2010 she received the Thomas C. Lichter-man Employee of the Year Award.  She retired in 2011 after 36 years of service. She is currently involved in PTA and serving as Membership Chair of Frayser High School PTSA, Memphis City Schools Pre K advisory council and Pre K –3 Continuum Advisory Council. Regenia is married to the love of her life Robert for 39 years.  They have two sons and four grandchildren.

Hutton Easley: Director, Easley Marketing Services

Hutton Easley is principal of Easley Marketing Services, LLC. For more than twenty years Hutton has been helping businesses, from startup to multi-national, grow by launching innovative products and new services.  As an independent consultant, Hutton develops marketing strategy, coordinates product and program development, and manages details of campaign delivery.  Hutton came to Memphis with International Paper where he held a progression of product development, business development, and marketing roles. Prior to Memphis he was in the print communications industry in New York City for over a decade.  Making Memphis competitive on a national basis has led Hutton to focus his public efforts on education and nutrition which are key components of a healthier and more prosperous community.  His community involvement includes serving on the boards of Literacy MidSouth, Memphis Food Advisory Council, and Sales and Marketing Society of the MidSouth. He is the past president of Central Gardens Historic District.  Hutton graduated from the University of Richmond with a BA. in Economics and Speech Communications and Theatre Arts.

Rev. Derek D. Flake: Founder and Executive Director, Fresh Start Life, Inc.

Derek Flake is the Executive Director of Fresh Start Life, Inc., a 501c3 organization that focuses on helping at-risk youth discover and define their purpose in life. Mr. Flake is a native Memphian who graduated from Whitehaven High School in 1992 and continued his post-secondary studies at Union University majoring in Organizational Leadership.  Being an ordained minister has afforded Derek the opportunity to serve in various youth evangelistic capacities within the community, as well as outreach roles such as coaching basketball teams and mentoring youth from local schools, foster care institutions, and those incarcerated in low to high security facilities for over ten years. Derek was instrumental in forming and leading a coalition of community partners to establish a formal and accredited education program inside of the Shelby County Correctional Facility, Jail East.  This program provides incarcerated teens the opportunity to earn their high school diploma. Derek is married and has three daughters.

Joshua R. Forbes: Executive Director, Alcy Ball Development Corporation

Joshua Forbes is the Executive Director of the Alcy Ball Development Corporation. Before becoming Executive Director, Joshua was the Middle School Coordinator for Repairing The Breach Outreach Ministry, where he was able to build strong relationships with the students of the community as well as the parents, faculty and staff of numerous schools in the area. Joshua completed a three year leadership training institute with the Urban Youth Initiative and Memphis Leadership Foundation. Joshua completed his Bachelor of Arts in Social Work at the University of Memphis. Joshua is married to Chemberly with two children, Anjel and Josiah.

Dr. Florida Garmon: Science Instructor, Memphis City Schools

Dr. Florida Garmon has been awarded several degrees including an Ed.D. in Curriculum & Instruction Leadership, an Ed.S in Administration & Supervision, a M.Ed. in Education, a B.S. in Biology.  She is a Nationally Board Certified Teacher. Dr. Garmon’s research has been published and presented at the American Institute of Higher Education, 1st International Conference, the Tennessee Association of Middle Schools Conference (TAMS) and the National Middle School Association Convention (NMSA). She is knowledgeable in many types of educational practices due to 17 years of teaching experiences in middle school and 5 years on the graduate level of college, where she taught courses related to experiential learning, curriculum development, urban education, secondary education and the foundations of teaching. Dr. Garmon has received multiple awards for her work, such as, Tennessee Lottery Teacher of the Week Award from News 3, The National Honor Roll’s Outstanding Teacher Award, Sallie Mae First Class Teacher’s Award and has been featured in the Fulton Sun newspaper.

Travis Green: Government and Constituent Relations Assistant, University of Memphis

Travis Green is a third generation Memphian and an alumnus of Whitehaven High School. Travis served  in Iraq as an infantryman with Kilo Company 3rd Battalion 23rd Marines. As a decorated combat veteran, Travis returned to Memphis to earn his college degree from the  University of Memphis. In 2008, he joined Congressman Steve Cohen’s staff as special assistant /field representative focusing on veteran and military affairs. Travis is now serving at his alma mater in the Office of Government Relations at the University of Memphis.

Johnnie M. Hatten: Senior Research Specialist, Mississippi State University

Ms. Johnnie M. Hatten was born and raised in a rural town near Hattiesburg, Mississippi.  She is the twelfth of 13 children. In 1998, she received a Bachelor of Science Degree in Health Education from the University of Southern Mississippi. After graduation, Johnnie became a Behavioral Specialist at Pine Belt Mental Healthcare Resources.  She was a Senior Research Specialist for Mississippi State University.  She has served in numerous ministries from Outreach Ministry, Youth Instructor, and Teaching Adult Bible Study.  She works as a Community Connector with Agape Child and Family Services, serves as a the Board Member for Frayser Community Development Corporation, an Auxiliary Probation Officer with Memphis and Shelby County Juvenile Court, a Steering Committee Member for Church Wellness Center, is a member of the City of Memphis Community Affairs Office, and as a recruiter for the Seedco Career Steps Program.

James Moore: Field Director/Administrator, Scout Reach Division, Boy Scouts of America

James Moore serves as Field Director/Administrator of the Scout Reach Division for the Boy Scouts of America. James has fifteen years of leadership and success in fundraising, membership growth, volunteer recruiting, strategic alliances, and community support in non-profit settings.  He is deeply committed to improving the lives of at-risk youth and low-income families in Memphis. He was recognized nationally by the Boy Scouts of America with National President’s Award for developing creative programs that serve at-risk youth populations.  As a native of Valdosta, Georgia, and he graduated from LeMoyne-Owen College with a B.A. in Political Science.   James is to married Camillia Moore, and they have two daughters – Jamille (15), and Jeia (12).

Monica Selby: Freelance Writer

Monica is a freelance writer based in Memphis, TN. She is the mother of three young boys.

Jennifer R. Shorter: Testing Coordinator, Student Disability Services, University of Memphis

Jennifer is the Testing Coordinator in Student Disability Services at the University of Memphis.  Previously, she taught U.S. Government, Spanish, and Academic Counseling for six years in Memphis, TN and Richmond, VA. Prior to teaching, Jennifer was a Legislative Intern with the Tennessee General Assembly.  In 2005-2006, she was a Tennessee Teaching Scholar. She is also the recipient of the “Outstanding Leadership Student Award for Excellence, Scholarship, and Professional Accomplishments 2012” by the College of Education, Health and Human Services at the University of Memphis.  Jennifer earned her B.A. from Jackson State University and Master’s and Doctoral degree from the University of Memphis.

Kalemah Taalib-Din: Tennessee Ambassador, NCAB; Student Voice, T.W.E.E.T.

Kalemah Taalib-Din is currently a sixteen year old senior at Craigmont High School.  She started attending public school in 7th grade.  In the summer of 2012, she attended Phillips Exeter Academy in New Hampshire for the month of July.  Kalemah’s interest is in Law, specifically women’s rights.  In the summer of 2012, she did a law internship at the Federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.   She has three legal mentors who will help her proceed with her dream career.  Currently, Kalemah is a newly chosen ambassador for the state of Tennessee for the NCAM (National Child Awareness Month) Program.

Comments